Chocolate Cake with Courgettes
350g S.R. flour
50g Cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 teaspoon salt
175g olive oil
375 castor sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 courgettes grated. (If you grate them and put them in a measuring jug they should come up to about the 500ml mark) Here is a useful little grater.
140g roughly chopped walnuts
1. Place the grated courgettes in a clean cloth and squeeze out some of the liquid and discard the liquid.
2.Heat oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas mark 4.
3. Combine flour, cocoa powder, mixed spice and 1 teaspoon salt in one bowl.
4. In another bowl mix olive oil, sugar,eggs, vanilla essence and the grated courgette.
5. Combine them all in one bowl until just combined and then fold in the walnuts.
6. Line a 24cm cake tin with greaseproof paper (yes, that's right - it makes a large cake.)
7. Bake it for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of it comes out clean. It may take longer.
8. Cool in the tin for a little while and then cool on a wire rack.
While it is cooling make the icing:
200g dark chocolate
100ml single cream
Break the chocolate into really small pieces. Bring cream to boil in small saucepan. Pour boiling milk onto the chocolate in a bowl and stir till smooth and melted. Cool slightly then spread over the cake.
Lick bowl!! Eat cake!