Thursday, 17 October 2013

Celebrations, Dinners and Living Here and Now

We returned from holiday and were immediately invited to have dinner with our daughter, her husband and our grandchildren, then we were invited to a 65th birthday party along with a special group of friends and we had a wonderful time. (So good that none of us wanted to leave) and finally, to end a really sociable week we invited friends for dinner on Saturday night and we had a very jolly time. So that is my first reason to be cheerful.
My second reason is that I really feel my generation is the luckiest generation ever. Peter and I have enrolled on a local history course and are researching our family trees. I have found instances of a relation born deaf and so remained unable to speak for his whole life, a lady who had four young children and whose husband, (a mill stone dresser in a flour mill) died in his twenties so that she had to earn a living sewing flour sacks for her whole life, and evidence of such toil, poverty, large families, illness, the effects of war that it has made me really, really thankful that I live now and not then.

My third reason is that I am so glad to be living in Britain. Yes, even during these difficult economic times. We went on holiday recently to Crete. Whilst there we were in a chemist and they were serving an old lady with her medication. It was only a month's medication but the cost that she had to pay was phenomenal and, given that, over there, wages and pensions are so low there it must have been a terrible struggle for her to be able to pay for it. 
So my reasons in a nutshell are 1. I am thankful for the people I love 2. for the time in which I live 3. for the place in which I live.
Glenda

Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

7 comments:

Lous Lake Views said...

sounds like a lovely sociable week. You make some really good points there, previous generations had much harder lives than we do and we should be grateful for living in the present.

Joanna Henley said...

Beautiful reasons, really honest x

Nicola Robson said...

I am so with you in being grateful for living in these days and in this country. We can over romaticize the past and forget what a struggle it was for so many. And right now, even with all the problems in the UK, I know we have it so much better than other countries.

Nicola Robson said...

I am so with you in being grateful for living in these days and in this country. We can over romaticize the past and forget what a struggle it was for so many. And right now, even with all the problems in the UK, I know we have it so much better than other countries.

Becky Willoughby said...

all very great reasons to be cheerful

Michelle Twin Mum said...

You sound incredibly content Glenda, just perfect. Have a great weekend, Mich x

kateonthinice said...

profound reasons indeed.